Ross is already looking older to us. Admittedly, washing his beautiful locks of hair did help immensely, but he's also starting to make more and more little faces and expressions. He is still sleeping most of the day, but has moments of being so alert and wide awake, taking in everything around him. He is nursing like a champ, although it has taken him awhile to learn to open his mouth wide enough for a strong latch.

While some people (probably most) seem to have shorter and "easier" labours with their second baby, this was certainly not my experience. I started having contractions Monday night, and spent the night timing them, writing, listening to music, and getting excited for the arrival of my baby. But by the wee hours of the morning, it was clear that they weren't getting any stronger or more regular, and I eventually fell asleep for a few hours. They returned Tuesday morning and I spent all day Tuesday feeling too uncomfortable to sleep. Finally by Tuesday evening things picked up and we were sure we would have a baby that night. But by 11pm that evening, it was clear that things were actually slowing down again. I managed to get a few hours of sleep when I was woken at 3am with very sharp pains. We met the midwife at the hospital at 4am, she broke my waters (which had meconium in them), at 5:20 I started pushing, and at 5:35 I had my little boy in my arms. I used the entenox (gas and air) for a little while, but mostly I got through each contraction by standing at the side of the bed, holding Steve's hands, and imagining that I was on a bicycle sprinting towards a finish line. We spent that day in hospital and Ross had the routine hip check and hearing test done. He was required to stay one night for observation, due to the meconium, but it was a peaceful night for both of us, and I thoroughly enjoyed sleeping on my stomach again.
Here are a few more pictures from the last few days.
Madeleine got a new stroller from Grandma Georgia and she absolutely loves racing around the house pushing her little doll.
He truly could not be any cuter! You all look wonderful and make this experience look so easy and smooth. Continue to think of you all! Thanks for posting the pics - I was really hoping to get some more glimpses of that cutie and his cute sis - love the stroller pic - she looks in heaven!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for the post Annemarie, and the photos. You are a trooper and it's delightful to be able to sneak a peak at the first few days of your growing family. Ross is beautiful, Madeleine is delightful! One of Lauren's favorite toys was a stroller from Aunt Siri -her's was red and we still have it :) Lauren carried around animals tho, usually not babies!
ReplyDelete