There aren't too many food items we haven't been able to find over here, but pure maple syrup is one. There are a lot of "flavoured" maple syrups, but the pure stuff was harder to track down. In Ottawa, we regularly had pancakes on a weekend, but this was the first time in NZ that we've been able to re-live our tasty tradition. Sadly, the bottle is now more than half empty.


Our first Kiwi pancake breakfast.... yummy!

Steve continues to enjoy his work and even brings home some of his favourite books, like the one pictured above. He is flying to Christchurch this Friday, where he will take a bus to Lake Tekapo to spend 5 days at the Mt John Observatory. One of his advisors will be there and this will give them a chance to discuss the project in more detail, and also for Steve to use and examine a working spectrograph. It's a bit strange to think of us being in different parts of NZ, but it is great that he will have this chance to be down there again. It will probably be all covered in snow, so he will even get a taste of real winter!

Today was my first day of work on the Pediatric Ward at the Hutt Hospital. They are giving me a full six weeks of orientation since I have no nursing experience in pediatrics. I am really looking forward to learning about a completely new area, and I think I will enjoy working with families. I'll be on a full time schedule, working a variety of 8 hour day, evening, and night shifts.

I went to the Wellington Botanic Gardens last week and enjoyed seeing a surprising number of flowers in bloom. These snow drops were definitely my favourite.
Thanks, as usual, for another post, AK. I love snowdrops and it's fun to see these. Mine have the little bits of green on the inside, so are clearly a different variety. I have huge swaths of them now, but they all came from a small patch I dug out of the yard of Jackie Miller, who taught you horseback riding!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations and good luck for both of you with your new jobs and endeavours!
ReplyDelete