Hello all - Steve here. Thought I'd give AK a break and give a quick update on my trip to Mt. John Observatory at Tekapo on the South Island. We'd been to Tekapo on the Easter weekend, but it's such an amazing area I was happy to return. One of my advisors was there for two weeks using one of the telescopes, so I joined him for a week to learn how to drive a big telescope and run a spectrograph.
My flight out of Wellington left just before 7am. The flight followed the east coast of the South Island down to Christchurch, so I had a great view of the Southern Alps out my window at sunrise.
Going to Mt. John in the middle of winter, I was hoping to find the summit covered in several feet of snow, and experience something akin to a Canadian winter. But the summit was completely bare - the mountains surrounding it were covered in snow, but none was to be found at the observatory. I stayed at the closest building, and used the telescope in the attached dome.
This is the telescope we were using - it has a main mirror 1 metre across. The green part is the mount that moves it around the sky, and the white disk on the right contains the many weights needed to counterbalance the telescope on the mount.
Here I am next to the telescope at the start of a night, moving it to the first star. The telescope is all computer controlled, but it's more fun to move it with the hand paddle.
These days professional astronomers can spend a whole night observing and never have to look at the sky because everything is controlled by computers. Mt. John was no different; these are the computers that run the telescope and the spectrograph. Luckily though, a lot of it was automated, which meant I could sneak outside now and then and take a look at the stars. And I'm glad I could - Tekapo has been in the news for being an International Dark Sky reserve, and I can see why. The Milky Way arching overhead, from one side of the sky to the other, was a spectacular sight.
This was the view outside during the day - the distant mountain ranges surrounding Mt. John and the brilliant blue colour of Lake Tekapo.
Great job giving us the flavour of your trip, Steve. Incredible scenery. (Recommendation to other viewers: be sure to click on the photos and look at them in full size.) Thanks! - Mark
ReplyDeletegreat pics Steve and commentary! the observatory site photo, looks like a moisture farm on Tatooine... :)
ReplyDeletethe shot of the alps from the plane is beautiful too.
You look like a kid at Christmas in the photos, inside the observatory.
Glad it's going well,
Chris
Hi Steve -thanks for the beautiful photos and an idea of your "typical" work day! Do you ever find time to sleep? I hadn't thought about the 3rd-shift-ness of your career and the impact that has on daily life. Based on the photos of your surroundings (of this whole NZ adventure), each day seems to bring breathtaking beauty of some kind or another - what a wonderful gift! Thanks for sharing it!
ReplyDeleteThat telescope isn't quite what you used to have behind the barn!! I'm so glad to see you so happy in all of your pictures :)
ReplyDeleteHi Steve - Great to see you on here too. :) Thanks for giving a glimpse into your trip. The pictures are beautiful.
ReplyDelete