A few days after moving in (or should I say after a few hours), Steve was hard at work re-assembling his telescope. It was soon ready to go and all he's waiting for now is clear skies! He also put out bikes back together, and we went out in the sunny weather last weekend. Thankfully, we survived riding on the 'wrong' side of the road and cars seem pretty bike-friendly here. At times, the roads are so narrow the cars really have no choice but to wait behind you.
The first week involved a lot of walking around downtown - finding groceries, banks, stores for phone and internet... all that fun stuff. We've also explored the parliament buildings, the main library, the National Library, the Botanic Gardens, the museum (with an amazing exhibit of the biggest Colossal Squid ever displayed). I guess we should have taken pictures of all these adventures...
With both Christmas AND summer at the same time, a lot of people take longer vacations in December. We've decided to follow suit, and are hoping to find a used car in the next week or so and go exploring in the North Island. We'll start working in January. I've had one interview at the Emergency Dept here, but am really not keen on going back to shift work while trying to enjoy this opportunity to see NZ. I've also met with some people at the Hospice here, and there might be some opportunity for casual nursing hours there. I'm still hoping to meet with some nursing professors here too, in case there are any research opportunities. Steve is continuing to do some work for his boss in Ottawa, but will also get in touch with some of the astronomy/telescope folks here.
What a GREAT idea! I love your new place and am so glad to see you well and everything falling into place. We just got DUMPED with snow, so I'm jealous of your summery weather. Way to go you guys! Love ya!
ReplyDeleteHey Guys I am so glad that you made it! NZ looks amazing and I cant wait to come and visit you!! :) What happened with the visa's? which one did you end up getting? Cant wait to catch up!
ReplyDeleteJenny
You guys have a great place, wonderful view. Sounds like you have seen the entire city in the first week! Love the pictures.
ReplyDeleteKeep them coming
Man, your pictures and comments really remind me of being in NZ. I was even at the wellington hospital as my friend had an ear infection. And now you may be working there! Tres cool, glad you're settling in well!
ReplyDelete