My Mom just sent me some of her pictures from the day she drove us to Vancouver for our departing flight. Below, Steve next to the Altenmueller's van (kindly lent to us so we could get all our luggage in one vehicle).

Above, seconds after I broke the strap on Steve's backpack. I was pretty stressed but I guess Mom thought it made a good photo.
Here we are in the Vancouver Airport, bike boxes on the left, three duffle bags/backpacks in the middle, and on the right is Steve's telescope box. On top of the telescope box is Steve's old fashioned suitcase which carried his telescope mirror, safely cushioned. As much as I made fun of him for it, the suitcase got several compliments from fellow travelers (most of them elderly).
Throughout all of customs, the only things that drew interest were the bike boxes (had to open one for US customs) and our hiking boots. NZ Customs wants to ensure all hiking/camping equipment is clean, so we dug out our hiking boots and they gave them a thorough wash for us. Thankfully we had just cleaned our tent, so they didn't have to spray it. Other than that, no one asked us anything about why we were entering NZ, how long we were staying for, whether we had visas, how much money we had... sort of anti climactic.
No comments:
Post a Comment