Monday, January 20, 2014

Goodbye, Hello, and Happy Birthday

I am finally getting the chance to do another blog post now that the dust has settled and I found the camera cable in our luggage.  It's also helpful to have both kids asleep before 9pm! The last few weeks have been full of memorable events, and I could easily have filled several posts about our last week in NZ, our few days in BC, and our first week here in Berkeley. Instead, I'll recap here and hope to stay on top of upcoming adventures. 

Our last few days in NZ were not too busy with packing since we had done the majority of our packing a week before we left in order to know what we were sending via cargo. This meant we were able to enjoy fish and chips at the park with Emily, Matt, and Jac...
And of course some special story and cuddle time with our dear neighbours Mike and Carolyn...
The day we left was filled with tears for me, but seeing Madeleine so excited for every little thing - the visits from friends, the shuttle van, the airplanes, the luggage trolleys - certainly helped lift my spirits. Both kids did wonderfully on the long flights, and we were all so happy to see my Mom and Dad at the Vancouver Airport. Our few days with them and visiting my grandparents were a wonderful taste of familiarity and comfort in the midst of the big move.

My Dad drove down to Berkeley alongside us, and after two long days in the car, I think the kids were wishing they were back in the airplane. However they did extremely well considering they had no screens for entertainment and the scenery outside ended early with dusk at 5pm. As we drove into Berkeley on the five-lane highway, at around 8pm the second day, Madeleine exclaimed "the sun's coming out! It's not dark anymore!" We told her no, it's just the big city...

We spent the day exploring San Francisco on foot yesterday. Madeleine got to stretch her legs at a playground in Civic Square - a far cry from our local park in Eastbourne.
Ross and Kristin climbed one of the hills together.
And Madeleine and I looked out at the Bay Bridge.
One of the highlights of California for Madeleine so far has been the presence of Polly, my sister Kristin's dog. Kristin and Polly are with us for a couple of weeks, and are adored by both kids.
In the midst of all this, Ross turned ONE! The blue star blanket that I use for his monthly photo is packed away somewhere, and there is little chance of him staying still on it anymore. He is cruising everywhere and starting to stand on his own.
He absolutely loved the chocolate cake made by Auntie Kristin. He continues to charm us with his cuddles, kisses, and unending curiosity.
We are staying in a short-term rental house until February 1st, when we'll move into our more permanent rental in a suburb called El Cerrito. After a few days of looking at many houses, Steve and I settled on one, and are happy to have that behind us. Tomorrow Steve starts his new job, and I'm very happy to have my Dad, Kristin and Polly here for another week to help with getting settled.

No comments:

Post a Comment