Sunday, August 14, 2011

Polar Blast

All of New Zealand is getting hit with a "polar blast" this week, resulting in below-freezing temperatures and even snow at sea level. This morning we woke to snow-covered hills around us, and apparently it snowed in many parts of the city as well. This hasn't happened for nearly 40 years, so it is pretty big news for people here.
These are the hills north of Lower Hutt, which are usually green. The storm is supposed to last through the week... sad to say that the first thing I think of is: how will I dry my washing?!
The cold weather brings other unpleasantries as well... Yesterday, Steve put on his shoe, but felt something in it, and quickly took it off to have a look. Here is the Tunnelweb Spider that had made a web in his shoe overnight (after I maimed it)! We have only seen one before - when my parents were here visiting - and they are by far the biggest spider we have seen in NZ. Apparently their bite is not poisonous, but looking at those fangs, I wouldn't care to find out for myself.

1 comment:

  1. Snow on the hills and a tree fern in the foreground-only in New Zealand! And I notice again how Kiwi you are becoming..."washing" rather than laundry; nappies, cot, antenatal group. Are you keeping a list?

    Oh, am I glad that spider didn't make a web in MY shoes!! How did you disable it (part of me doesn't want to know, but tell me anyway)?

    A blog post without Madeleine photos! Please skype soon so I can see her.

    ReplyDelete