Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Mandarins in May

Living in the southern hemisphere is taking some getting used to. Little events that I have always associated with certain seasons are all of a sudden happening at the wrong time of the year. In my mind, the year is marked with things like flowers and fresh buds in April, weddings and long days in July, crisp colouful days in September, Mandarin oranges, fires, and Christmas trees in December, and my birthday in the heart of winter, or February. Now, all of a sudden, I saw Mandarin oranges in the stores yesterday, people had their weddings in February, and I had a summer birthday! The crisp days are happening now, and the leaves on the ground and dew on the inside of the windows are daily reminders that we are definitely heading into winter even though I just got my work schedule for June. I'm sure over time I will get used to the new seasons, but I don't think it will ever create the same feeling of comfort and warmth as cozy fires and mandarins in the toe of my Christmas stocking.
Ahhh, the dewy windows of impending winter. Lately, each morning the insides of our windows are dripping in dew - something we haven't seen since we left Nelson last winter. The lack of insulation continues to appall us and yesterday I had to convince my 12-year-old patient that I am much colder in New Zealand than I ever was in Canada.
Leaves cover our backyard, but thankfully we still get some sunny days to hang the washing out. Having no dryer is going to be interesting this winter, considering it is too damp and cold inside for things to hang dry.
Mandarin oranges and golden kiwifruit, both grown in New Zealand and absolutely delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment