Monday, September 7, 2009

Castlepoint

This past Saturday we took advantage of the sunny Spring weather and did a day trip to Castlepoint, about a 3 hour drive from here. It is on the eastern coastline and features a beautiful old lighthouse, a unique reef, long beaches, and a tall grassy cliff.


It was a beautiful sunny day, and we had brought along our hiking boots, not knowing what kind of trails there might be. It turns out that there is a track up the tall cliff, so we climbed up to the top.


One side of the cliff is completely covered in wild grasses, and the other side is formed by jagged sand and rock that has eroded away over the years. At the top, we basked in the sun while eating some lunch, and soaked in the spectacular 360 degree views. Looking towards the land, there was nothing but farms and fields of sheep covering rolling green hills. The farms went right up to the edge of the coast which give way to dramatic cliffs and long beaches for as far as the eye can see.


Looking towards the ocean, there is absolutely openness, all the way to Antarctica!


On the way home, we stopped for dinner in one of the cute small towns in the Wairarapa region, near Masterton. There are antique shops, and cafes, and markets galore and we agreed that one could easily spend longer exploring this area. For now though, it made a perfect day trip, and made me feel like I got some good weekend fun even though I had to work on Sunday.


2 comments:

  1. You guys take such good pictures! I really like the one of AK walking on the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful shots! I can't believe the sights you are seeing. I agree with Kristin...you guys have some talent! :) Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete