Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Random Pics

This little Praying Mantis is the second we've come across on our patio since we moved in. He was pretty cute, especially when he followed me with his head as I moved around him. 

We drove around some of the countryside within an hour or two of Nelson - beautiful hills and valleys with farms, vineyards, and orchards. In one small town, there was a sign for a "vintage farm machine museum" and we stopped to take a look. The owner had a huge barn full of refurbished farm machinery, mostly tractors. 

Steve had a great time inspecting all the old tractors.

After a long stretch of sun-filled days, we finally had a day of rain! It rained ALL morning and then even stayed cloudy for the next day.  It was a relief to have a rainy day and be able to stay inside and be cozy and not feel guilty!

We rented an old refurbished sewing machine a couple weeks ago, and I made this over-the-shoulder bag. For some reason, I didn't bring a small backpack with me and now that I have a commuter bike, I needed a bag that could go around my neck and over my shoulder while I'm riding. It was fun to make, and I did an okay job, but I won't show you any close-ups of the stitching!
 
Here are a few shots of downtown Nelson, with a few fall colours. It is a lot more like B.C. here, with more yellows and bright greens than reds and oranges. 

Despite the lack of colours, the air is crisp and fresh and we are both loving the fall here. We are wishing Kiwis liked the idea of insulating their walls though... the temperatures are dropping to near zero at night and the mornings are so chilly it's hard to get out of bed. Speaking of which, I will soon be forced to get out of bed a lot earlier!  I finally had an interview at the hospital here and was accepted for a nursing position. It will still be another couple weeks before their paperwork is done and I can start though. 
 
We are driving down to Christchurch this weekend, since we haven't been down there yet and it is the Easter long weekend. We might try to visit the Mt John Observatory at Lake Tekapo as well.  I'm sure we will have more pictures and stories from that trip. 

2 comments:

  1. More great photos and stories, AK! I'm impressed that you rented a sewing machine (I wouldn't have thought of that) and made a bag - it looks great. Thanks for adding pictures of Nelson as I'd been wondering what it looked like. It's always fun to see Steve and his love for farming, such a great legacy from his Dad. And I love the look you captured on the praying mantis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute bag! it seems to strange that you're having your fall colour change. you got two autumns this year! lucky! love the pics :)

    ReplyDelete